INITIAL ASSESSMENT FOR DEPRESSION
At Best Day Psychiatry and Counseling, formerly known as Fayetteville Psychiatric Associates, we can test for depression in a variety of ways to determine the presence and severity of symptoms.
We will also review patient mental health history, asking how long the symptoms have been occurring, personal or family history of mental health issues and any psychiatric treatment they may have received in the past. We may ask about a patient’s marital status, work environment, prior military service, the biggest sources of stress in their life and any past traumas.
SYMPTOMS OF DEPRESSION
One in six people will experience depression at some point in their life. But, fortunately, it’s treatable. Symptoms must last for two weeks or more to be diagnosed as depression. Symptoms of depression can include:
- Feeling sad or having a depressed mood for longer than a few weeks
- Loss of interest and pleasure in activities
- Changes in appetite, may lead to sudden weight loss or weight gain
- Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
- Increased fatigue and loss of energy
- Increase in purposeless physical activity, like pacing
- Slowed movements or speech, easily observable by others
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Difficulty thinking, concentrating or making decisions
- Thoughts of death or suicide